REVIEW: LOST IN TRANSLATION

19 dec 2013 
"Lost in Translation is a 2003 American comedy-
drama film written and directed by Sofia Coppola.It stars Bill MurrayScarlett JohanssonGiovanni RibisiAnna Faris, and Fumihiro Hayashi. The film revolves around an ageing actor named Bob Harris (Murray) and a recent college graduate named Charlotte (Johansson) who develop a rapport after a chance meeting in a Tokyo hotel. The movie explores themes of lonelinessinsomniaexistential ennui, and culture shock against the backdrop of a modern Japanese city"

I remember having a lust to watch Lost In Translation when I was quite younger, seeing an ad for it somewhere and finding it interesting, however I ultimately never got to it. But I never thought it would be on a flight to Abu Dhabi that I would stumble across it and finally get the chance to watch it. Firstly, I would like to point out that even before watching this film I knew that I would somewhat enjoy it, because it's set in Tokyo, Japan. And I'm forever in love with Tokyo and Japanese culture. However, putting my love for Japan aside, on a completely unbiased note, Lost In Translation is certainly one of the most loveliest, complex and real films I have seen in a long time.




Although I am not a big fan of Bill Murray or Scarlett Johansson, (I mean, Ghost-busters and a Justin Timberlake video? Not that I have anything against the two, but you wouldn't really expect amazing performances from actors if they were only known, in my case, in relation to a cheesy 80's movie and an over-produced music video.) - they did spectacular jobs in portraying their given roles. Murray, plays (kind of in my perspective, perhaps himself, ironically?) an 'ageing actor'  married for 25 years, who is stumbling across a mid-life crisis and Johansson plays a newly wed graduate who has many unanswered wonders and questions about life. The natural contrast between the two is beautiful. 

Charlotte and Bob meet as they are staying at the same hotel, and end up instantly clicking. Charlotte is accompanying her husband on a photography trip but he seems to be always busy working. Bob is forced to deal with unusually demanding Japanese directors and promiscuous women whilst on his trip to shoot a $2 million whisky ad.
 Both bored, restless and dissatisfied with their situation, the two find meet and find an interesting and fun outlet whilst spending time together. After meeting one evening at the hotel bar, Charlotte invites Bob out for a fun night with some of her local friends which marks the beginning of their friendship.

One of my favourite scenes from this movie is when Bob and Charlotte have a heart-to-heart sharing a bed. It honestly made me cry on a plane infront of other people trying to sleep in economy class. (Seriously) - but all personal stories aside, I think it made me feel so much emotion because of how simple yet real it was. They discuss finding who you are, marriage, and if life ever "gets easier". Bob gives Charlotte comforting words of wisdom and advice, "the more you figure out who you are and what you want to be, the less things upset you" 

After a shared adventure in Tokyo it's finally time for them to part and get back to their separate lives, however their goodbye is awkward and tasteless. On his way to the airport Bob spots Charlotte walking in the city and stops his driver to approach her and they share a heart-felt hug and kiss whilst Charlotte's eyes fill with tears. Bob also whispers something unknown into her ear in which she replies "Ok" to. 

I think what I like most about this film is the positive light shown between the age gap, which some may describe as taboo. Despite their age difference and gap between generations, the two characters find much more in common than most would think to find. I have always had an interest with older men, maybe it's because of my love for classic rock or "dad rock" - and let's face it, they are smart, more experienced and charming. But apart from that, I've always enjoyed conversing with them because we connect and admire in the oddest, mutual of ways. I would love to spontaneously meet an interesting man who is different yet similar to me as a person, I would love to let loose and experience an adventure with someone like Bob. Although Charlotte and Bob's relationship is described as romantic in many cases, I think that every girl could form a similar friendship with an older man, that doesn't have to be sexual. 

All in all Lost In Translation is light, easy to watch, comical, yet very meaningful, deep and honest. It portrays a beautiful, innocent friendship and a rare bond between two humans.